Thursday, August 30, 2007

Organizing Within Limits

If we all agree that being organized is a desirable thing, why are we all not organized?
All it takes is some time, some skills, some creativity, some energy, a little motivation and a little money. Aha! The answer might be that at some times in our lives we lack one or more of those elements.

We believe, of all those requirements, the most important one is motivation. Getting organized has to rise to the top of the priority list because the in-laws are coming, or you are ready to claim your time and space, or the clutter has taken over your life and you have to do something to survive. Once you are motivated to accomplish the task you can access the other resources.

Before you acquire the needed resources, take a look at the limits you have, not only financially, but in regards to ability and skills.

There really are skills involved in creating an organized environment. Some folks are fortunate to have had a parent, teacher or mentor who taught them to prioritize sequence and design usable systems. For the rest of us who have not been so fortunate, there are resources on bookshelves and on the internet that provide information and guidance in these areas. A professional organizer can also provide a supportive and instructive combination of hands-on experience and coaching that will help you get the job done.

Whatever method you chose to acquire the skills, an important consideration is your limitations.

Consider budget: What can I spend on this project? Should I contract outside help? What kind of organizing tools and systems can I create or purchase?

Consider physical ability: Do I have the physical ability to accomplish the manual labor and the construction require? What system fits my energy level? As I design systems, what personal limitations do I need to accommodate?

Consider creative ability: Can I create a plan and/or systems from scratch or do I need to seek professional guidance? Can I invent systems from what I currently have or do I need to purchase ready-made tools?

Recognizing the limits and planning within their boundaries will help you establish systems you can work with and maintain.

Beverly and Kristen
www.KeyTransitions.net

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home