Sunday, March 15, 2009

WHEN AM I ORGANIZED ENOUGH?

I love to watch the home makeover and organizing programs when I can. Sometimes I am inspired, sometimes I get good ideas for difficult problems, and sometimes I just laugh. One of the recent programs that tickled my funny bone was a redesign and organization for a busy single mother of four with a demanding job. As they toured her through the pristine and orderly residence her house had become, I found myself inventing internal dialogue for the poor woman.

“What a nice foyer, (but will my children really walk to the end of the hall and open a door to dump their backpacks?”)

“Oh, yes, that is a lovely laundry room (until I feed the dog and try to do a week’s worth of laundry on Saturday.”)

“The bathroom is so neat (but what will it look like when my teenager litters it with hair products and make-up?”)

“I can find everything in this pantry (until I drag in my first batch of groceries and put them wherever they fit.”)

The organized space looked beautiful, but it was not very practical for this family. Finding the balance between pretty and practical, form and function is often overlooked when folks organize spaces that have to work for them everyday. When we invest time and effort, we expect things to improve. Looking good is an improvement if the organization is maintained with the same or less amount of work.

Often we have a limited amount of time and money to spend on organization projects. How can we decide where to put our resources for the biggest improvement? How do we decide when we are organized enough?

In the real world, where people with limited resources lead busy lives, I believe you are organized enough when:

  • Spaces are safe and you can walk across rooms without stumbling on items
  • You can find what you are looking for in five minutes.
  • You can pick up the public spaces for an unexpected guest to visit in 15 minutes.
  • You can get ready for a critical relative or friend to visit in one day.
  • There are no (or few) outdated products in your refrigerator, freezer, pantry.
  • You and your family can access clothes and other items when you need them
  • Bills, projects, homework, permission slips are not past due because you have misplaced the papers.
  • You can get into bed and have dinner at your table without clearing it first.
  • You are happy and comfortable living in your home.

If you are not there yet, keep trying. You may want to take a look at some programs about organizing. Even if you don’t learn anything, you could have a good laugh.


Beverly & Kristen
www.KeyTransitions.net

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home