Monday, January 05, 2009

RESOLVE TO MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY

The National Association of Professional Organizers designates January as Get Organized Month. Getting organized is the third most common type of New Year’s resolution, ranking right behind resolutions that deal with better health and better finances.

In our experience, people who successfully get organized and stay organized do it for themselves. Many times we hear: “ I would really be happy if I could have somebody over and not be embarrassed”, “I would really be happy if I could walk in my closet and have a clue what is in there”, “I would really be happy if I could manage my mail and get my bills paid on time.”

These folks know that the clutter in their lives is a problem and they would be happier without it.

That is a good start. Once they decided what would make them happy, they set about to achieve the improvement. They called us to help them plan and execute a strategy to make it happen.

Everyone does not need a professional organizer to get organized. Everyone does need a personal goal and a plan to reach it. It is easier to keep your goal to get organized if it meets your personal need and is not done to please someone else. It is easier to stay organized if your system is personalized for your style and needs. It does not have to be complicated. It doesn’t even have to be pretty, if that is not important to you. It just has to work for you.

So when you make your resolution to get organized, make a “happiness statement”. For instance, “It would really make me happy to have all the pet stuff organized so I can quickly take care of the dogs when I get home from work”. Then execute your plan for organizing the pet supplies and celebrate your accomplishment. Keep it organized for a month and it will most likely stay that way.

Then you can make yourself happy with another goal.

This gives a whole new meaning to “Have a happy New Year!”

Beverly & Kristen
www.KeyTransitions.net

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home